Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Port Aransas - Side Note

On our next trip to Port A, we'll definitely make a stop at Oceans of Seafood. The brief notes I jotted down as we drove by were: Oceans of Seafood; psychedelic orange; Cotter St. The outside appearance would lend itself to being more of a dive, but on Port A, where anything goes, it might just very well be the finest in dining, which by island standards has nothing at all to do with the stability of the structure.

The building was painted neon, extremely psychedelic orange with big black letters splashed on the front. If you're on Cotter St. there's no way you can miss it. Thinking back, I think the word "Market" was painted somewhere which may indicate fresh seafood for sale, which would be a cool find.

It caught our attention and is on our list for "the next time."

And I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Sharkeys on Hwy. 361. It sort of reminds me of a pirate's version of Gilley's. I can only describe Sharkeys as not for the faint of heart but definitely reserved for renegades, those who like to live on the edge, bikers and of course, spring breakers. Tattoos may not be required, but you might have one before you leave.

I've been in Sharkeys once. For lunch. During daylight hours. It was dark inside, and a bit scary when I remembered my daughter had mentioned hanging out at Sharkeys during one of her spring breaks from SWT (a memory that sent a huge gulp down my throat). You know, kind of like one of those stories you hear about years later when your kids think enough time has past to let go of a particular tidbit...

Actually Sharkeys is a pretty cool and I'm sure crazy-fun place, especially at night. Even though we whizzed past early afternoon on a Saturday, the parking lot (again, think Gilley's) was packed with trucks, people, BBQ pits and lots of banners which read "South Texas Harvest Moon Regatta." From what I understand, the downstairs opens after dark for the live entertainment. I haven't been downstairs yet...

www.sharkeysbeachclub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment