Friday, October 9, 2009

Why the Blog

Mr. Websters gives the following definitions:

Diner - a restaurant usually resembling a dining car in shape
Dive - a disreputable entertainment establishment
Drive-In - an establishment so laid out that patrons can be accommodated while remaining in their automobiles

Mr. Webster needs to move into the 21st century to give diners, drive-ins & dives their due. Today they are considered more of a rough gem in a pile of fast food establishments, chains and high-dollar restaurants. They are the pearl in the oyster bed, the four-leaf clover in a field of spring growth, the proverbial needle in a haystack. I don't know if the "mom-and-pop" places sequestered in nooks and crannies of this great state are a dying breed, but I do know these gems can easily be overlooked with the scenery of neon, concrete and steel in most of the larger cities. And as for the diners, drive-ins & dives in the small towns and rural areas, well, all I can say is it just really helps to know what you're looking for.

That's my intent of Texas Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. To bring to light the small eateries around the state of Texas that are well worth a stop when traveling by car. I use Houston as a "hub" only because I'm a native Houstonian and travel usually takes me down Hwy. 59 South, I-45 South (sometimes north) or I-10 West.

There's a lot of land to cover and this is where you, my blog followers come in. Post a comment for your recommendation of Texas Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. Help give us all an opportunity to seek out the small eateries on our road trips from Houston to New Braunfels, Austin to Waco, Dallas to College Station, Midland to Marble Falls, Temple to San Antonio and beyond.

Don't feel like you have to be an articulate writer (I'm not) to make a suggestion. A name and location will do. Then as readers seek out the blog suggestions they can report back. Anything from a thumbs up/down to a full-fledged review will work.

Rich and I were in North Padre for a long weekend and all I can say is I had more eating places to check out than there are meals in a day. I've been working out and walking on alternate days and have bitched a time or two about not losing any weight. Ashley (my daughter) nonchalantly asked the other day if it may have something to do with all the places I've been writing about. Shut-up! I thought to myself in my Ouiser (Steel Magnolias) tone of voice. I. DO. NOT. WANT. TO. HEAR. THAT. Which of course, is because it's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment