Thursday, August 19, 2010

Waller - Rocky's BBQ

If you find yourself on Hwy. 290 heading out to Hempstead, Brenham, College Station, Austin, etc., you might want to stop at the new Chevron Station/convenient store/BBQ place we found. Rocky's is located on the south side of Hwy. 290 at Field Store Rd. The place is brand new (signs are still being put up) and a hell of long way from Sugar Land (where I live), but I'd certainly stop in again should I find myself in that neck of the woods.

The owner, Ronn Batt (I've known Ronny since high school, and yes I still call him Ronny) is the owner and used to own the Waller Co. Line BBQ/Shell Station nearby. We reconnected at our reunion about 3 weeks ago, that's how I found out about Rocky's. He wasn't there at the time of our visit (darn, should have called first), but we still stopped for lunch. As Rich said, "we've driven out this far, I want some food." So we ate.

Although Rocky's is a BBQ place, I ordered the old-fashioned cheeseburger (which I've been known to do) and Rich ordered the sliced brisket sandwich (which he's known to do). And as everyone is quite aware by now, I like cheeseburgers. This delight took 2 hands to hold and was one of the best so far. A good old-fashioned cheeseburger with a generous, juicy hamburger patty and lots of fresh condiments. I loved it. It was huge and I could have eaten it all except I would have been miserable. Rich said the brisket was really good, had tons of meat on it, but he would have wanted the brisket sliced a bit thinner. Besides that, he called it a winner.

Nice, new, clean, and good food. Stop by sometime and if you see a guy there with a big smile on his face and answers to the name Ronn, tell him Terry Lee said hi...

10 comments:

  1. Tell Ronny that Terry Evans said hi also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any idea why it is closed now? Went by last night all taped off with yellow caution tape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't have a clue. Will see what I can find out. Seems strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still wondering why it's closed and no one around town seems to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone find out why it closed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo and Anonymous - Have not been able to find out anything. Still trying though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Formerly Rocky's, now Field Store BBQ under new owner/management. Same great cheeseburgers, BBQ and baked potatoes. Seafood & Ice House coming soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anonymous: Thanks for the update. Field Store BBQ sounds like a stop and also the name will help me remember which exit to take. Are the Chevron gas pumps up and running too?

    Have been eating a lot (big surprise) and have lots to catch everyone up on.

    Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chevron gas pumps are up and working. Can't wait for the seafood/ice house to open. I talked to the owner and he said it will be just like Captain Toms on 1960 in Houston. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi terry the old rockys in waller is now open again .and could use some good words . about the good bbq and great food also the seafood

    ReplyDelete