Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Houston - The 59 Diner


Rich and I went to the Stafford location on Saturday for lunch and it was packed. After being seated at a booth and scanning the menu, I walked the perimeter of the diner, being a casual snoop, to see what looked good. Although it was almost 1:00 in the afternoon, I'd say at least 40% of the people were eating breakfast. I did see some eye-catching onion rings on a burger plate which I did feel compelled to order.
The decor is cool, especially if you were actually around in the 50's to remember the laminate, chrome-edged tables surrounded by chairs with Naugahyde vinyl, the Wurlitzer Bubbler jukebox (which now holds CDs and actually doesn't cost anything to play), the chrome backing on some of the walls or the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. Large framed black and white photos I found particularly interesting. Especially a picture of the old Texas National Bank building downtown with the globe on top that turned different colors when the weather changed (white=getting cold; red=getting warm; green=good weather; blinking=rain). Time and weather predictions seemed to be a bit simpler in those days. To kids (excuse me...people) of the younger generation would probably find this weather announcement as barbaric as the caveman who looked outside and if the rock was wet...it was raining.
Although "Blue Plate Specials" are offered, I found most people stuck with the breakfast menu (offered all day) or the burgers, which I wish I had ordered, although my chicken tender basket with a side of onion rings was excellent. The milkshakes and malts have been voted the best in Houston, according to a sign posted on the counter and I believe a huge draw is that the 59 Diner is open 24/7.
http://www.59diner.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment