Thursday, September 3, 2009

New Braunfels - Pat's Place


The second on the list of Texas Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives is Pat's Place in New Braunfels. It is an unassuming wooden building located at 202 S. Union. What used to be a local hang-out is now a popular well-known, yet hard to find, place to eat for those floating the Comal or coming from a day at Schlitterbahn's.

Ice tea, water and soft drinks come to the table in mason jars and it's the first time I ever had cheese enchiladas served with chopped lettuce and tomatoes on top (which is now how I love to eat cheese enchiladas). The nachos are slathered with a good quality cheese which always has me pushing the word cholesterol back to the far corners of my brain. The burgers are great, as are the chicken-fried steak, fried okra & macaroni and cheese, which is a favorite on the kid's menu.

Attire is casual, anything except nudity is acceptable I believe, the prices are low and the parking can be tight at peak hours. So can the wait and the service, therefore I suggest going early for lunch, mid-afternoon or after the 6-7 PM dinner crowd.

Pat's Place has been around since 1977. I started going there in 1982 which means the place was only 5 years old, however the wooden floors and some of the antiques have seen many more years. A distinguished old wooden bar wraps itself around the inner half-circle of the place where food as well as full-serve bar drinks are served.

I believe a majority of the locals have found other places to hang their hats, yet I've been there plenty of times over the years where the same group of people sitting in the corner talking were there when I arrived and still there when I left.

Next time I'm in New Braunfels I think I call Pat and ask her for an interview. Maybe she'll tell me what kind of cheese is used for the nachos. I really want to know.

1 comment:

  1. Will have to try this place out...but really disappointed I can't go buck naked.

    ReplyDelete