Sunday, September 20, 2009

Houston - Bubba's Texas Burger Shack


There is a lot to say about this little dive. First its location. This small building is literally (and I mean literally) sandwiched between the Westpark Tollway and Hwy. 59. Think 2 pieces of white bread (Westpark Tollway & Hwy. 59) and a single slice of Buddig lunchmeat (Bubba's). Sitting outside is preferable since they're only about 3 tables inside but it has you speaking a little louder than usual to be heard over the traffic on the feeder roads. There's an outside window for pickup orders with a tip jar sitting on the window ledge hosting a sign that reads "tipping is good karma". Take out seems to be a good part of their business, especially on Saturdays.

Waiting in line to order is tricky, trying to maneuver around people sitting at the 3 inside tables. And if you need a refill for your ice tea you might have to stand in the order line for awhile to clear one of the tables that blocks a bee-line to the tea container.

There were a lot of buffalo meat options on the menu but I stuck with the beef cheeseburger on a wheat bun. I don't think Bubba was there but a nice woman was taking orders. I glanced behind her to a young man tossing saucer-size patties on the grill. He then threw on some salt & pepper and generously sprinkled a red-colored (paprika/chili powder?) seasoning on the meat from a large shaker container.

Our burgers were delivered to us outside, wrapped in white paper with an American flag toothpick stuck in it. Silverware is plastic but that's okay, I only needed a knife to cut the huge burger in half. The wheat bun was probably the best wheat bun I've ever had. And the meat had a kick to it (the seasoning?) and was juicy without being greasy. The meat/bun/cheese/condiments ratio was perfect.

Now, I need to explain something here. My intent as we were heading to Bubba's was to let Rich order a cheeseburger and I'd take a bite (I've got this cholesterol thing going I'm trying to pay attention to). Once we got there I thought, okay, I'll order my own but I'll only eat half. Well, none of those two things happened. I finished my burger on my own, barely speaking between bites except for a hmmmm sound once in a while.

I was curious about the seasoning and after waiting in line to get to the ice tea refill, I was able to grab one of the people delivering the burgers. She told me the seasoning was called Est Bueno (Es Bueno? someone needs to help me out here) and a mix of over 7 spices (at first I thought she said 70). She said I could buy a bottle of it at the counter for $2.99, which I did. And once I run out, if I brought the bottle back, they'd refill it for $2.00.

Music was playing inside and out (Doobie Brothers, Dylan, Bob Marley, that kind of good stuff) and we sat at our table outside for awhile after we had finished eating, just enjoying the ambiance. The building is painted royal blue and white (many times over) and the floor inside might slant a bit. I couldn't be sure whether I was walking lop-sided because of the flooring or my eyes adjusting to the new glasses I'd just picked up yesterday morning.

Cadillacs, Lexus's, SUVs, pickups, Saturns (vehicles from all walks of life) lined the narrow parking area between the two busy roadways. No frills, no fries, onion rings or tater tots. Although there is a variety of chips to choose from and some other side items (I've heard the jalapeno potato salad is excellent). You can get a Lone Star for $2.00 (other beer is served, Lone Star is just their beer special) or a glass of wine for $2.50. Long necks also come in buckets, all brands $15.00, $13.00 for happy hour.

I'd go back again. And again. And again. I want to meet Bubba. I'm sure there's a story there.

Bubba's Texas Burger Shack is located on Westpark between S. Rice and 610 Loop.
Thanks go to Mere for her comment suggestion on Texas Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives.

PS - tried the seasoning on grilled fish last night. EXCELLENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment